Together We Stand is IES Bromma's Anti-bullying Project
The school is a social and cultural meeting place with both the opportunity and the responsibility to strengthen this ability among all who work there. Together we stand up against racism, gender discrimination, and bullying.
What is racism?
- Racism is a culture, not just an act.
- Behaviours, policies, rules, etc. that result in a continued unfair advantage to some people and unfair or harmful treatment of others based on race.
- It has been created by the privileged to have power over the unprivileged.
How can racism be deconstructed?
- To acknowledge that it exists in our society and within ourselves
- It has to be actively prevented in the first place and should never be left unattended.
- Since it has been created by the oppressor, the privileged, it is their responsibility to work together to abolish it.
No one should be subjected to discrimination on the grounds of gender, ethnic affiliation, religion or other belief systems, transgender identity or its expression, sexual orientation, age or functional impairment, or other degrading treatment. All such tendencies should be actively combated. Xenophobia and intolerance must be confronted with knowledge, open discussion, and active measures.
This Fall term we will have theme days that will give the students time to discuss these topics with their peers and teachers. The goals for these theme days are:
To understand your unique identities - Identity
To understand our diversities - Diversity
To understand what discrimination is - Discrimination
To raise awareness about the language we use - Words Matter
This is a school wide initiative and the responsibility of everyone at IES Bromma.